Recipes

Saturday, November 24, 2012

All Things United Kingdom



God Save Our Gracious Queen,
Long Live Our Noble Queen,
God Save Our Queen

I am a citizen of the Commonwealth, along with a whole lot of other people throughout the globe.  During the time I attended grammar school I recall singing the anthem (all of it) at the close of the school day.  Along with lovingly and loudly proclaiming my love for Canada at the start of classes, I did the same toward Her Majesty.  I don't ever remember singing God Save Our King even though I attended school for a bit prior to her coronation.  Maybe because I don't have a lot of memories from that time and only a couple of good ones from that time.  But that's another topic (or maybe not).

Passing through a lot of years, and we are in 2012 and the Queen's Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics have awakened a renewed interest in me for everything British, Scottish, Irish and Welch.  And to a certain degree Australia.  Time is limited so right now, the Kindom is number one in interest.  I've stumbled upon some really wonderful blogs over the past months.  The history, the pictures, the stories, more pictures, frugal tales, charity shop visits, the expressions that I have to figure out and I could go on and on.  I haven't figured out how to shorten a URL just yet to post the links for the blogs.... I will work on that.  lol to myself, of course.  In the meantime I am learning and enjoying my searches.  When I see the name of a city, town, village off I go to Google maps, Google Earth to check out it's location.   I've  discovered a shop in Port Perry, a town nearby called The Wee Tartan Shop which advertises "When Only The Best of the British Isles Will Do"  http://www.theweetartanshop.com/ (copied & pasted  :).  I plan to take my neighbour there in the next couple weeks to visit.  She is 86, married a Canadian and is a war bride and just so lovely.  She would enjoy this shop so much.

So sorry, Brits, Scots, Irish, Welch.... I didn't know what I was missing out on.  I am going to enjoy these visits very much.  Those to the land of Oz and Kiwi's too! 

Off for now.  Toodle pip to you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment